Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Birthdays.







This weekend marked two friends' birthdays. Being the week before Valentines, I was already in the card making spirit- if that is a known spirit. So, I went to work creating two cards- these in addition to Sorren's Valentines Day card and a special animated gift for all of you out there; on the internets.

The cards were both ideas I had earlier but never could right. The mermaid was something I thought about but every time I tried to draw her I found there was something missing. I tried a shell bra, a large chin, more barnacles- nothing worked. Believe it or not in the end it was simple lines for hair, which is supposed to be seaweed, that made the whole thing come together. I am always surprised by the way a simple line or a very obvious idea can make something come together, but I guess I should be more surprised at how I can just be totally oblivious to the answer.

Also, this has erupted a new passion for me- hand lettering. I was always struggling with fonts, trying to create my ideas of type with these rigid, wrong fonts and wondering, how can I get the emphasis I want? Now I know- spend three times as long doing it myself. It was a great experience.

I really loved the end result. Lately, I have been working overtime to master screen printing and, if you read my last post, I have been having trouble with getting the quality I'd like. This time I decided to simply create the cards and then have them printed. I love what I got. I always assume that you can't get a quality print from a home printer but these cards proved me wrong. The color isn't 100% but who am I to complain, I didn't have to smash anything or get so frustrated I had to surrender.

No comments: